Monday, February 24, 2014

Silky Tunic Top

I wanted to make a silk top to go with my faux leather leggings, but I'm still a bit intimidated by silk (both the sewing it and the living in/laundering it). I'm hoping to get over that (through practice!) when I have better options for sourcing than I do now. So, for now I chose a high quality poly-blend fabric with a silky feel in a print and color that I liked.


I started with my TNT shirt pattern (Burda 04/2010 #114 - also seen here and here) and modified it by adding length, chest pockets and flaps, and a center front placket. The pockets are the same as I used on my denim shirt. I followed instructions from the book, Shirtmaking for the center placket. I wish I had made it a little longer.


The black fabric was harder to work with than the blue - lighter, slipperier and very resistant to pressing. At the beginning of this project, I knew that perfection was going to be the enemy. I didn't want to fight the project the whole way only to end up hating it in the end. The details certainly didn't come out perfect, but I'm quite happy with it.

The leggings and tunic are fun to wear together - stylish and slightly edgy but still appropriate for my everyday life.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! And it is nice and soft against the "hardness" of the pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous top!! Your sewing is just so perfect!

    ReplyDelete